on the Green
Canfield, in 1798, became Township No. 1 in range No. 3 by the purchase from the Connecticut Land Company. This 16,324 acre tract was located on the southeastern border of the Connecticut Western Reserve Territory. It was purchased by six gentlemen; most of the land was owned by Judson Canfield. The Township was originally called Campfield; on April 15, 1800 it was voted to be called Canfield, in honor of Judson Canfield.
By 1805, Canfield had approximately 17 homes, a store and a school; it became a trade center for the region. Canfield was represented by General James A. Garfield who later became President of the United States.
The primary architectural style in Canfield, continuing today, is Classic Revival, a style that came to maturity in the Western Reserve region. This style became popular during Thomas Jefferson's presidency and was brought to this area by early settlers. Canfield's architectural style continues to be one of its greatest assets, still attracting new residents to the community.
Cardinal Joint Fire District
Station 1 - 104 Lisbon St, Station 2 - 5007 Messerly Rd
The Mission of the Cardinal Joint Fire District is to provide protection of Life, Property, and the Environment, through Public Education in Fire Safety, Emergency Medical Techniques, Public Awareness Campaign, and the Continuous Training and Commitment of our Officers, Firefighters and Firefighters/EMTs in the latest techniques and acquistions of equipment.
Canfield's War Vets Museum
23 E. Main Street
Hours: 7 days, 9am-3pm
The Canfield War Vet Museum was chartered in 1988 by American Legion Post 177 and Ladies Auxiliary to collect and preserve items and history from American wars. The building that houses the museum was built in 1809 by Comfort S. Mygatt, a Revolutionary War veteran, and later, passed through several generations of the Church family. Colonel James Madison Nash, a Civil War officer, lived here for a time, giving the house its nickname, "The Colonel's House." The structure stands as the oldest building in Canfield on its original site. The carding barn on the rear of the property was built in 1810 to process sheep wool. The Wall of Honor at this site honors war veterans, in particular, the Revolutionary War veterans interred in Canfield cemeteries and the 18 Canfield men who lost their lives in World War II.
This museum houses over 36,000 artifacts from the Revolutionary War up through present day Iraq battles. The lower level inside has an interesting train display.